These are the dog breeds that live the longest

Check out these 22 Longest-Living Breeds of Dogs!PET PHOTOGRAPHY PURPLE COLLAR / GETTY IMAGES

Long live our dear dog!

We don’t want to think about the day our beloved dog will leave us. Dogs are part of the family, they are our loyal companions and our most loyal friends. Their loss represented a heartbreaking moment in our lives, which has led some future owners to choose their furry friends among the longest-lived dog breeds.

Whether the size required is small, medium, or rather something close to a gentle giant, it would also be helpful to know a dog’s life expectancy. In general, your dog’s breed should give you a good idea of ​​how long it has been. But there are other factors to consider.

Does size have an effect on longevity?

completely. Size is a major factor in the life expectancy of a dog breed. “Smaller mammals are generally said to live longer,” says veterinarian Catherine Lennox of Royal Canin Pet Food. “We don’t really know why, but it could depend on the animal’s metabolism, which is true for the dog.”

What factors do we have no control over?

As with humans, we cannot control certain aspects of aging. Diseases, accidents, and genetic predispositions to certain conditions affect a dog’s lifespan. You can have a DNA test to check for genetic health issues, but it won’t prevent disease.

How do we extend the life of our dog?

You can’t change your genetic data, but bad genes don’t always mean bad luck. What is necessary for the general well-being of your animal. “Genetic diseases account for 20% of health problems for dogs (and cats), and the remaining 80% are caused by poor lifestyle habits or the environment,” says Karen Shaw Becker, veterinarian and author of The Forever Dog.

You can collaborate with your veterinarian to be more involved in managing or reducing common health risks. “It’s the best way to reduce the likelihood of future illnesses for your dog.”

In the end, what you can do to improve and extend your dog’s life is not that complicated.

Catherine Lennox advises: “Be proactive and manage medical issues with your vet, help your dog maintain a normal weight (not overweight or underweight) and feed him high-quality, complete, balanced foods without excessive treats.” Also, make sure he gets enough exercise.

According to vet Lenox, here are the breeds that can live more than 15 years. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and there is no guarantee that your dog will reach this age, even if it is one of the listed breeds. But it does increase the likelihood that your beloved quad will stay by your side longer.

If you want to adopt a dog and have a big family, no problem! See the best dog breeds for the family.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *